Thursday 26 April 2007

Likes and Dislikes

Inspired by Mr. Monk Seal (move eyes slightly to right for linkage) here is a list of my likes and dislikes, including some shamefully stolen from his good self (some agreeing - who prefers the Romans? - and some not). Reading through I'm not at all sure whether they give any deep psychological insight into my character or whether most are comprehensible if you're not from British. Still, I rather enjoyed matching them up.

Likes;

White wine, Indian Food, Spain, regional accents, Richmond Park, The seaside in autumn/winter, David Bowie, Sandalwood, Beyonce, Seafood, American Independant Films, Kylie, Tulips, Savoury, John Lewis, Steve Coogan, The Beckhams, Pub Quizzes, Hastings, Fresh Laundry, Ginger Beer, Showers, Doctor Who, Arched eyebrows, 20th Century Literature, owning up and taking responsibility, City Breaks, Julie Birchill, Mustard, Amy Winehouse, Prose, Wedge Heels, Rugs, Apples, Radio 4, Living Alone, Tattoos, Modern Art and Medieval Art, The mole on my upper lip, Science, Jake Gyllenhaal, Dogs and Cats, Sunset, Cautious Optimism, Trainspotting, The Greeks, Having my hair brushed, Chris Morris, History, Cellos, Shoes, Dust, Editorials, Battersea Power Station, Blur, Stilton, Flamenco, Simon Cowell, Tamsin Grieg, Cheese and Onion crisps, Clutter, Sarcasm, Sashimi, Toddlers, Boy pants, Football, "Lit", Mediocre customer service, Simon Amstell, Passports, The right side of the bed, Psychiatry, Battered Fish, walking there, Maps, Kate Winslet, The Initially Reticent, South of the River, Being a bit too cold, Cracking an awkward joke.

Dislikes;

Red Wine, Chinese Food, France, ok, I'm not fond of high pitched Scouse or West Country, Hyde Park, The seaside in summer, Mick Jagger, Florals, Nelly Furtado, Chicken, American Action Films, Madonna, Roses, Sweet, Harvey Nichols, Peter Kay, The Windsors, Nightclubs, Brighton, Perfume, Coke, Baths, Eastenders, Not being able to arch my eyebrows, 19th Century Literature, victim culture, Beach holidays, Tony Parsons, Ketchup, Lily Allen, Poetry, Stilettos, Carpets, Citrus Fruit, Radio 1, Eating Alone, Piercings, Renaissance Art, The mole on my upper lip, Alternative Therapies, Jude Law, Rabbits and Hamsters, Sunrise, Blind Pessimism, Everything else Irvine Welsh ever wrote and every other film Ewan McGregor was in, The Romans, Having my feet touched, David Walliams, Nostalgia, Clarinets, Sandals, Antibacterial Spray, Headlines, Tate Modern, Oasis, Edam, Ballet, this need to be untruthfully pleasant to everyone on reality shows, French and Saunders, Prawn Cocktail crisps, Minimalism, Earnestness, Sushi rolls, Newborns, Thongs, Rugby, "Chick-Lit", Falsely enthusiastic customer service, Steve Jones, ID cards, The left side of the bed, Psychoanalysis, Chips, driving there, Nicole Kidman, The Overly Friendly, North of The River, Being a bit too hot, Continuing to frown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, minor differences aside (sunrise > sunset, chips > fish, Madonna > Kylie as an ARTIST, Kylie > Madonna as a HUMAN BEING) we're pretty alike you and I. Even where I like(Amy & Lily)/Dislike(r.wine & w.wine) both options I'd have them in roughly the same order.

And sod the non-British. They can use this as a cultural gateway. And at least your options weren't minor kids tv presenters.

(Editorial Note : You've missed out whatever your "Maps" equivalent was. I only say because when checking my comments I noticed I'd left out "Short Nails" from my likes and it pissed me off with the lack of symmetry)

La G said...

I couldn't think of a 'Maps' equivalent that I disliked, but I just love those maps so much I didn't want to leave them off. Getting lost? Usually fairly enjoyable as long as it isn't (shudder) in the countryside. Travel Guides? Ok, as long as you don't let them dictate your trip. Staring blankly into space? One of my most treasured activities.

I hate long nails too. I got falsies for a wedding once and it felt like I had alien Hands.

Ferdinand the Duck said...

You crazy Brits. I would load my list up with Canadian pop culture references, except that we don't have any.

Chris said...

vs Maps : Asking For Direction? I know you're a girl and all that, and therefore you don't have male pride to battle against, but surely nobody enjoys asking for directions? Mostly I hate it because they always go right out of my head 5 seconds after the guy has driven off.