Monday 28 May 2007

Mostly liking...

1/ Not being in InterWebland recently. I had thought of weening myself off a little after all the InterDrama of recent months and also had shit to do. Have painted my kitchen a wondrous shade of orange not unlike this website and my balcony is now filled with pots of lilies, dahlias and lots of bird feeders. I will become the strange bird lady of SW4, which is not such a bad fate. Greenfinches are mean bastards, by the way, don't stand between them and a peanut.

2/ I have started having the odd fag again, but ridiculously, only in secret. I don't want to admit to anyone I've restarted, as that would be admitting failure. So I go to the pub, don't smoke all evening, then have three in the bus queue on the way home. I have regressed to being 15 again. Must get drugs...

3/ Half Nelson. Brilliant film. Ryan Gosling gives the best performance I've seen in years. Also enjoyed recommending it to friends as "a film about dialectical materialism and crack"

4/ Doctor Who. I wasn't enjoying the series so far - the writing just didn't seem as good as previously and I was starting to get annoyed by Tennant's hyper kinetic portrayal. But I loved the first episode of 'Human Nature'. It looked stunning, the baddies are very creepy indeed, Tennant gave a well judged performance - still and thoughtful with just the odd glimpse of Ten poking out from underneath. This story has all the questions DW does best; what does it mean to be human? Love, Death, running and posh boy jokes.

5/ Lost. I did sniffle when Charlie died. I am from the Shire after all.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Re Dr Who : I know right? First actual properly good episode this series, although it has confirmed to me that I love DT playing anyone BUT the Doctor. It was slightly offputting that "Baines" seemed to have been posessed by Kenneth Williams, and distracting that the atmosphere was such that I was expecting "matron" to be played by Bonnie Tyler, but for all that still tonnes better than "Cars Are Bad mm'kay?", "Whoever Would Have Thought I'd Want To Cockpunch Shakespeare?" or "Penis Headed Dalek Muppets Take Manhattan".

Jen said...

I don't even want to tell you what I first thought you meant when you said you started having the odd fag again.

Post more often. I miss you!

Sophie Treadmill said...

I know what you mean about the fags and secret smoking. I quit, then restared, and now am trying to quit again. I'm down to two or three but I actually feel pretty good about that.

And I second what Jen said, post more often!

Ferdinand the Duck said...

I'm back to fulltime smoking, but I've gone through more than one phase where I was smoking in secret because once you admit it, that means you're actually a smoker again. It's so hard to quit when the weather gets nice.